The village Megalochori
The village of Megalochori (Albanian called "Katounti Imath") is the largest and most important village on the west coast of Methana. It is located on the mountainside of the Chelona, Tsouka and Panagitsa volcanoes. It was probably founded around 1830. Its predecessor in the Middle Ages lay in the valley above at the Panagitsa chapel. In the village there is the Papadi church and a small village square with cafes. The inhabitants of the village used to deal mainly with olive and almond cultivation, as well as with wine fields. Megalochori is the successor to the ancient settlement of Methana west of it, which lay by the sea and around the ancient acropolis Paliokastro. An alternative country hotel "Arsinoe" was run in the former school building below the street a few years ago. The development of tourism on Methana will show whether it will be reactivated.